Monday, June 14, 2010

When workaholism is the norm...

Yup, I'm addicted to workahol.

Had to cancel 2 auditions this week because I realized, OH YEAH, I'm actually taking a vacation soon. It didn't even occur to me when I was thinking of possible conflicts before submitting for the projects. I thought about other shows I'm doing and any work issues... but it didn't really register that I will actually be taking a vacation and therefore cannot schedule a show for that chunk of time. Crazy.

But that's not healthy, right?

That's why I'm taking said vacation. Because if you spend all your time working (and that includes plays), then you'll miss out on a lot of unscheduled LIFE stuff. And by "you", I mean "I". And though I've been having fun doing a crazy number of projects this last year, I have quite literally been doing shows non-stop -- sometimes 2 or three at a time -- for 12 months straight. The last time I had any downtime was right before As You Like It, this time last year. And while it's been great, I don't know that I've actually come too far since then.

True, I did stretch myself as a performer with several of my recent projects, and made a lot of new friends. But I keep coming back to a "but". Ah well. It's probably good for me to take some time to NOT be in a play and work on other things, like practicing the ukulele and writing. Speaking of which...

Working on a new project to once again stretch myself -- a colleague asked me to help co-write a web series project with him... which is SO random to me, but rather than linger over "why me?" and "am I right for this?", I'm just gonna run with it and do my best. If it's not good enough, that's yet to be determined and there's no point shutting myself down before I begin.

My dear friend's husband died yesterday out of nowhere. He had a heart defect, but nothing that seemed imminently life-threatening. And it just makes you think...

... yup...

1 comment:

spartacus said...

Since the death of James Brown you have become the hardest working person in show business. Or at least 99 seat waiver theatre. I'm glad you are getting a break from the craziness.

Sorry to hear about the friend's husband. When 42 year olds have brain hemorages or heart attacks I get weirded out too. Makes me look at my life closer to see how I should be doing this better.