Monday, April 9, 2012

Seedy, Cheesy, and Just the Way I Like It




I love me some savory pastries. Especially ones with cheese. Sweet jesus, YES CHEESE. But I also recognize that I need to balance out my own personal cheese-loving tendencies with healthier ones. Hence, this recipe was born.

I cobbled together a few different recipes, using this one from the NY Times as a base while adding in elements I liked from other recipes (quinoa flakes and, of course, cheese). And since I was adding cheese, I slashed the sugar considerably and cut the vanilla. And lo 'n behold, they turned out pretty goddamn awesome.

(Note: When I made these, I added more water than I needed, resulting in a need to add a BUNCH more flour when rolling out the mad-sticky dough. I have adjusted the amount accordingly and the 2 tbsp. listed below should be just peachy.)

Seedy Cheese Scones

2.5 oz AP flour (plus more used while working)
2.5 oz cake flour
2 oz quinoa flakes
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter
2/3 cup yogurt + 2 tablespoons water
6 tablespoons mixed seeds/grains (I used sunflower, poppy, and millet)
2 oz. grated cheddar

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. Sift together the flours, flakes, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Place in a food processor fitted with the steel blade and cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
3. Combine the yogurt and water, add to the flour mixture, and pulse processor til mixed. Stop the machine and add the seeds. Pulse a few times to combine. Add the cheese; pulse to mix.
4. Flour your hands as well as your work surface, and scrape out the dough. Gently shape into a rectangle 1 inch thick. Cut into 6 squares, then cut the squares diagonally to give you 12 triangular scones. The dough may be sticky; add a little more flour as needed to make it workable.




5. Place the scones on the baking sheet about 1 inch apart and bake 15(+) minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, or serve warm.

Yield: 12 scones





Next time, I'll likely try using a tad less butter, actually use the amount of water listed above, and have whole wheat flour on hand to swap out for the AP stuff. But considering how fast and loose I played with this recipe without having tested it, I'm pretty pleased with myself.


No comments: